Wednesday, February 27, 2008

What V Means to Me by Wendy Mills

In 1983 when the original miniseries came out I didn't watch it because I Just wasn't too interested in anything Science Fiction related except for the Star Wars movies. I was equally as disinterested in seeing V The Final Battle or watching the television series when it started. It wasn't• until a close friend of mine, Cynthia gave me a copy of 'V’ by A.C. Crispin and I read it, then later caught the two miniseries, that V opened up a "Whole new world for me”… a world of living ad1 moment as if was actually one of the V characters myself.

As I read. or watched the motherships cruising into position above all the major cities of the world, I was equally amazed, excited, nervous and scared as everyone else was. When John announced that they came in peace and were in need of help I felt immense relief and an overwhelming curiosity to learn more. But at the same time I was skeptical too ... something about the Visitors seemed off. They were just too nice…too normal… too human.

The feeling grew as the Visitors repeatedly cancelled their planned seminars with the medical profession, people often disappearing, and a conspiracy grew virtually overnight. I witnessed Ben being shot and felt Julie, Caleb and Elias' heartache and anger over his loss, laughed Harmony laughed and smiled when Willie smiled. I cried when Kathleen was killed and Mike learned of Sean's disappearance, was encouraged by the new friendships that sprung up between the Resistance and members of the Fifth Column. Grudgingly I accepted Ham Tyler into the fold, wondering how Mike and the others could possibly stand him, but eventually realized that even Tyler bad some redeeming qualities.

My courage grew as the resistance took shape under Julie's leadership. It changed from being just a rag tag military action of scared individuals to a disciplined unit full of courageous and determined people bent on re-establishing human control over earth once again sending Diana and the rest of the Visitors packing once and for all.

Not in the fifteen years since I first read the books or watched the miniseries or television series have I ever forgotten the unique characters involved. They are etched into the back of my mind as if they bad been actual living, breathing individuals who I had met once and don’t see often, but haven't forgotten. Nor do I think I ever will.

Nor will I forget the people I have met through rpg’s and yahoo groups over the past several months. You guys are the best and I feel honored having gotten a chance to know you.

No comments: